Following you will find some information to help you understand and prepare for the application processes for a Swiss Student Visa and Residence Permit.

Swiss Student Visas

All students from outside the European Union and EFTA member states must request a Swiss Student Visa from the Swiss Embassy or Swiss Consulate in your home country or country of residence before entering Switzerland. Tourist and/or Schengen Visas are not accepted for study purposes and Webster University Geneva will not allow students to register for courses under a Tourist and/or a Schengen Visa. For the most up-to-date information or for answers to detailed questions, please contact the Swiss Embassy or Swiss Consulate nearest to you, or refer to the FDFA website - selecting your country of residence.

Overview: Student Visa Application Process

There are three layers of government that process your student visa application. You need to submit your application forms and supporting documents to the Swiss Embassy or Swiss Consulate nearest you. Once all your documents have been submitted, the Swiss Embassy/Consulate will forward your application to Bern, Switzerland. After reviewing all of these documents, Bern will forward the file to the ‘office de la population’ (immigration office) in the Canton of Geneva. Geneva will assess your application, inform and notify the Swiss Embassy/Consulate of their decision. The Swiss Embassy/Consulate, through which you submitted all your documents, will then notify you.

The student visa process is lengthy and requires you to pay close attention to all pertinent details. The Swiss authorities will only consider applications that are complete!  It is extremely important to keep personal copies of all forms and documents submitted to the Swiss authorities.

During the visa process, Webster University Geneva may not interfere with the authorities to speed up the process or inquire about missing documents.  It is your responsibility to keep on top of your visa application process.

Please note that the procedure may take between two and six months to complete.

Swiss Student Residence Permit

All students (except Swiss citizens) enrolled in Webster University Geneva need to apply for a Swiss Student Residence Permit upon their arrival in Geneva. The permit can take two to three months to be issued and is valid for one year. Students must make sure to renew their permit every year before leaving for their summer or winter break. Student permit information for current students can be found on the Registrar's Office Pages.

If you have any other questions please contact:

Selina Bru

Selina Bru

Admissions and Operations Assistant
+41 22 959 8080